View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM
heyjami

I've resewn every single block I've made - sometimes making a complete new one! You called it patti - sew, sew again.

I have found that my eye is improving for seeing the errors so it is possible that in the beginning I didn't even realize the error! Yes, I'm that much of a new quilter. I have a blanket I made for a nephew in February/March and I chopped so many points... I am considering redoing the entire thing! :-) But it's a baby so he probably won't mind.

Originally Posted by pattis47
While 9-patch blocks can be overly simple, I must say in the past I have received some poorly sewn 9 patch blocks where the intersections are off by 1/4" or more and the sewer never fixed it, just mailed it out. I shutter to think what they would do with a Wild Zinnia pattern or Flying Geese.
I personally would rather have a simple 9-patch that was executed well than a more difficult pattern that just didn't make it. I realize that we have all levels of quilters on the board, but in order to become a better quilter sometimes you have to try, try, try again.

Personally, I have probably re-sewn as many blocks as I have completed on the first attempt.

Originally Posted by montanablu
Originally Posted by paintmejudy
Was back in the early postings, before the signup deadlines, there were people that had made comments about the simple-ness of a 9-patch. Said they had wished it could be outlawed. Don't know it was said in jest or not. But there are times when the 9-patch works perfectly! Case in point - the bug and animal blocks, among others.

And no offence taken, J.
Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
paintmejudy - I love the 9 patch. Why would you say it's "dreaded"? Just curious - no offense meant in any way!
I agree also - while 9 patch blocks CAN be overly simple, sometimes the fabric dictates it. Case in point the bug/animal blocks & some large florals that you just can't bear to cut into any more than necessary.