Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
...and what do you think? Is is nice to have, or is it something you would improve on with practice, or does it make a big difference?

I just bought a 1/4" foot which I love, and am wondering about the SID foot.
I use it for:
TOP STITCHING: move the needle to left or right and top stitch perfectly from the edge.
JOINING 2 PIECES OF BATTING;use the faggoting stitch on your machine with the SID guide between the 2 pieces of batting; it doesn't show on the finished quilt, and you can use 2 small pieces of batting to make a larger piece. I buy the largest size batting when it's on sale and whack off whatever I need for a quilt. Eventually, I join smaller pieces together.
JOINING 2 PIECES OF FABRIC: same as above, but fold 2 pieces of fabric and join them
JOINING TRIMS, LACE, HEIRLOOM FABRIC SEWING: same as above with fancy stitches or zig zag.
PRACTICE FREE MOTION QUILTING: Jill McCloy showed me this: put the feed dogs down and practice FMQ by doing stitch in ditch; by the time you finish all the seams, you're comfortable with speed and length of your stitches and ready to try 'real' free motion.