View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Ethel A

Originally Posted by Ducky
Thanks, BW. I was told by an instructor that fabric bought at a quilt shop (instead of a JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, WalMart, etc.) did not need to be prewashed because it's higher quality. But I DID prewash my black and white fabric with Orvus, and afterward decided I will start doing this. I like the "Better Safe Than Sorry" philosophy.
I always buy my fabrics at the lqs because it's only three blocks from my house (I walk there, rather than drive). I bought six red fat quarters two weeks ago. I let it soak in warm water. You should've seen how red the water was.

Same thing with blue. The water did have some dye from the fabric bleed into it.

Regardless of where you buy your fabric, it's not the brick-and-mortar building that determines whether your fabric will bleed. It is the manufacturer, and how they dyed their fabrics.

Given my recent experience, I have decided to prewash each and every piece of fabric I plan to use for purposes of removing any lingering dyes; as well as shrinking the fabric prior to cutting it. Also, for wall-hangings, I will always pre-soak the batting in hot water to shrink it as much as I can before I go to quilt with it.