View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tslowery
I would like one of these real bad but with my luck I would sew them wrong not 1/4 perfect and then everything will off from my sewing and then that money would be wasted cut straight sewn wrong. Geezz :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Well, what I do is rotary cut strips of moleskin (a thick foam adhesive for foot blisters, sold in pharmacy foot sections) and stick one on my machine at a perfect scant 1/4 inch. I usually use one of my rulers, place the needle tip on the scant 1/4-inch mark, make sure the ruler edge is straight with the machine's edge and throat plate, lower the presser foot, and stick the moleskin down right along the ruler's edge. I don't use a short strip either; I use the longest strip I can to both the front and back of the pressure foot to remind me to feed the fabric in straight.

On my machine, I have to move the needle position one space to the right to get the 1/4-inch seam and, when I turn off the machine, it reverts to the regular position. After forgetting to move that needle once too often, I learned to place a piece of masking tape over the knob to remind me the next time I sit down to piece.

Works for me! :D