Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Would someone please help me out? Found this machine and the lady gave me a six digit serial number. She said she found it oon the end of the sewing machine, on a silver turn dial. Would that be a correct place to find a serial number for this machine?
looks like a 401a - she's right, look under where it sets - does everything turn? Check the stitch regulator - if those foul up they can be fun to fix.
Thank you Miriam. Where would I or can I look it up anywhere to find out when/where it is manufactured? I am not sure I want to get it. The cabinet looks really nice. It was her grandmother's and has everything with it. Asking $80. :-D
Oh you want to get it if it works - offer her $75 just to say you got a deal - those really are one of the best Singer made - it has a slant needle so you can see what you are doing. They are all metal gear driven. They do decorative stitches. It has a drop in bobbin. (I like those because you have less bobbin issues) absolutely no plastic parts. If it is a 401a it is American made. I can see that from the picture. The 401g machines were made in Germany. The 401s were very expensive machines in their day - very top of the line. I got rid of my Janome electronic when I found mine. It does just about everything the Janome did with only a couple exceptions (it doesn't stop with the needle up or down a certain way and it does not automatically back stitch), it does more variety of stitches, it doesn't automatically take a few extra stitches when I want it to stop, and like I said I'm not straining my neck to see past the tension. It has a front load bobbin. You can slide it open with work still on the machine and see if there is enough bobbin thread. The bobbin shuttle pops apart for easy lint clean up. Then you pop it back punch the spring and are good to go. You can use disks to make the decorative stitches or you can just use the knobs. The design patterns are all on the disk cover door. Just flip it up and it will tell you what combinations you need. You can get repair parts for a 401 on line. They aren't rocket science to work on. You can buy a repair manual. They are the same inside as a Singer 500 but a bit better design outside. The bobbin is easy to wind - you can use a different spool of thread so you don't have to re-thread. Love mine.