View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Glenn

Originally Posted by iluvmycats
I have purchased a couple of treadle machines, a Red Eye and a #127, with Sphinx design. I have read Billies tutorials on how to clean the machine heads, but my question is concerning the cast iron frames. If there is a little rust how do I remove that? I mentioned to my husband, that I was thinking of taking the one stand somewhere to have it sandblasted. Then questions came up on painting the stand gloss or matt,and was I going to paint it or take it somewhere to have it professionally spray painted. I don't want to make this a major project. I thought it would be fun to do on my own (other then the sandblasting). He means well, but has a little (?) OCD and this is taking the J out of Joy for me. I am not planning on having the cabinets restored. They are fine the way they are. Can someone please address what you do when restoring the stands? I haven't read all 1200 and some posts on the Vintage Section, so would appreciate any help. Thanks, going to take my anxiety pill as we speak. Blessings, Nancy :-(
Karosene and steel wool will remove light rust for heavy rust us wet or dry sandpaper lubicated with karosene. Clean the irons well then wipe down with denatured alcohol from the hardware store. Apply two coats of flat black (rustoleum or your favorite brand). When dry you can wipe the irons down with liquid gold. this will help the new paint blend with the old. The Singer logo on the cross member of the iron should be paint gold and the same on the side logos. Do this with a small art brush. Thats it and they will look new. Glenn