View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 PM
sarahrachel

Since I've been browsing through the pictures that everyone has posted, amazing quilts by the way, it seems to me that a lot of people like old, heirloom quilts. Seeing as I have a few of my own, or rather my mom has them for now, I'd though I'd share some of her works as I've been remembering her a lot as this month she would have turned 90 this month.

The sad part is I never saw her quilt or these quilts while she was still living. They were found when she went to live with my uncle and we got her house. We found them while cleaning out a closet and an old cedar chest of hers. Her sister said that they would spend the evenings once it got dark quilting and sewing after all the other farm chores were done.

My mom told me I could have one, I believe there are more that she did, but I can't find them, when I move out, but when taking pictures of them, the red flower one ended up in my room...don't know how that happened...but it's now in my chest with cedar blocks to keep it and my other quilts fresh.

So because you all seem to like pictures I though I'd share the ones I have. Each quilt is hand pieced and quilted, and there is no batting between the 2 layers, but they're still quite warm. If anyone happens to know the name of the middle one, I'd be grateful!! Enjoy!

Sunbonnet Sue (I believe there's about 56 of them in total)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216222[/ATTACH]

the quilt I don't have a name for and has mysteriously ended up in my hope chest
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216223[/ATTACH]

an original of hers I believe, each block is hand embroidered. She finished it when she was 9
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216224[/ATTACH]

one of the embroidered squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216225[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216216.jpe   attachment-216217.jpe   attachment-216218.jpe   attachment-216219.jpe