View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Terricat

I am asking for all the help I can get on making a "Memory Quilt" for the daughter of one of my best friends. Her daughter lost a 3-1/2 mo. old baby last summer to SIDS. She is ready to move on now, and is expecting another baby in August, so that is a true blessing.

The daughter has picked out 9 of her favorite little jammies that she wants to keep and put on this quilt. What we have so far is some light blue and light green slight tone-on-tone to cut into 12" x 18" squares. We are NOT going to cut the jammies apart, we are going to leave them whole, and stitch onto the squares with a zig-zag or buttonhole stitch. I'm thinking we could put some fusible web or stabilizer just under the perimeters of the jammies to secure it in place better while we stitch it on.

Then she also has another 10-12 more jammies that she is OK with cutting into strips for sashing between the squares, which can be pieced in various prints and colors. I know we need to have stabilizer behind those before we sew.

What else do I need to do? I don't think this will be a blanket that will actually be used and laundered, it will probably be hung over the rocking chair in the baby's room, or possibly a snuggle blanket for 'mommy' for a while, and then maybe the new little sister-to-come when she gets a bit older. But I still want it to end up looking nice and not saggy-baggy. I just know enough about this little project to know that I don't know what I don't know. Please offer any and all ideas and suggestions. We will probably be starting on this in the next week.