Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Welllllll... I got it, another machine, a Singer 401.
Turns out that when you lift the left extension leaf into the upright position and reach down and pull the side of the cabinet; that the door opens and there is a tray inside. It was holding the original manual; bobbins and some miscellaneous stuff. It only has four cams but that really is enough for me right now.
Some of those cabinets did have a hidden door. Kind of a fun thing! The 401 came with 5 cams. (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5) There might be one more in position in the machine. The rest are built in. Since mine came with no manual (can't expect every thing from the garbage...) it took a while to figure out the selector knobs. There is a legend or what ever you want to call it in the top cover. You just look at the picture and set the levers like the legend. Well, they don't always come out like the legend says. Drove me nutty. I did come closer when I figured out you have to have the needle bar lever (to the right of the knobs) set certain positions to get the stitches the legend says it has. Then I found a manual. I like it better now that there is a manual on line. Your grand son will love playing with those knobs to get various stitches!!! HHHMMMMM better take the top off and show him what happens when you turn the knobs. The engineering on those machines are totally fascinating!!! I know my grand son will get one when he is older. He already has a sewing machine with no needle or motor. He is a year and a half - he thinks he has sewing all figured out. Oh and the machine was to keep him out of Mommie's - didn't work...