Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Rose Hall

Originally Posted by collettakay
I'm fornutate that I don't have to work outside the home at this point. (Who knows about the future?) I have a 7 soon to be 8yr old in 3rd grade and a 2 year old. During the day its usually just me and the LO. Naptime, Barney and Sesame Street are great for sewing time.

She loves to "help" me clean but its usually get messed up 5 minutes later so I make myself not obsess about the housework. I keep a calendar to keep myself on track with appts and "chores" I usually set Monday's and Tuesday to clean. I break the house into 2 halves so that I don't have so much pressure in one day. Wednesday are projects day where I work on my quilting/sewing/etc. projects. Thursday are groceries, errands and Friday's are bills and straightening up the house and sometimes an afternoon of reading (during nap). All done with my "helper"

Add onto the main stuff: Girls Scouts, Softball, PTO, Church events (at least 2-3 evenings a week), onine time, quilt guild and a few committees I'm on.

I talked to my mom about a grandma/granddaughter one afternoon a week just so I can actually have some alone time. DH took both girls to with him to my oldest's softball practice the other night and I had 1.5 hours of alone time. I can't remember the last time that happened. That's what gave me the afternoon at grandma's idea.

I can sympathize with all you ladies that have to work 40-50 hrs at a job then come home and take care of everything there also. Been there, done that and don't think could handle it again. I pray I don't have to at least until the LO is in school.
I agree! I do work outside the home and besides learning to let alot "go" (like my mom said I would when I had a baby!), I have put my housework on a schedule. I have a daytimer where I write my to do list, etc. I have a cleaning shedule that on the first Saturday of the month I dust, clean the bathrooms, and clean the floors (for example), on the second Saturday I clean the floors, water the plants, and change bedsheets, etc. Third Saturday it is a different set of chores---whatever works for you! I even remind myself in my daytimer to check the furnace filters and flip the mattresses! anyone who looks in my daytimer would probably roll their eyes, but I have to stay super organized so I don't feel overwhelmed. of course, if I am having company over, things get done ahead of schedule. During the week I only try to keep up with the dishes and laundry. I am fortunate to have a dishwasher and a washer/dryer in my house. If I can't even keep up with that (and there are times!!) then I let the laundry go until the weekend. I sew/quilt on Sundays. I figured even GOD needed a day of rest, and that is what I do to relax.
the housework doesn't wander away, take time for YOU! you will be a better mother, wife, daughter, and sister for it!
Rose H.