Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 PM
HanNatNana

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan
Jan, that's a really nice machine and in much better condition than mine, still it's good they have been rescued because the lady who sold mine was planning to bin it the next week. It had belonged to her great grandmother, unfortunately she didn't know any further history.

I'm just guessing here but suspect both machines might take the same needle? Can anyone give further info on needles?

Bronwyn ;-)
I'll bet they do. Glenn sent me a link for an owners manual. See if it will work for you too.
http://www.ismacs.net/fristerandross...se-shuttle.pdf

There was a lot of unauthorized "sharing" of technology going on back then.

Texas Jan
Thanks Jan!!! That owners manual is great...think I'll print it on some leather-look paper I have. The machines are very similar although the bobbin winder on the Beale doesn't have the tall, centre thread guide...must find some time to get more acquainted with the machine but will wait until the builders have finished.

Thanks again
Bronwyn ;-)