View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
natalieg

I need to vent. I am following a pattern that for me would be difficult, but it is the one that my DIL to-be picked out for the wedding quilt. I love the pattern, I had purchased it long before talk of the wedding quilt came up.
I understand typos and all that, but I keep running into a lot of little ones.
I followed their guidelines for fabric purchase. Different fabrics, but I bought a little more (1/2 yd or less) than what they listed. Some of the fabrics, I ended up with a bunch left over. One said 7/8 yd or so. I bought a little extra and used half of one 6 inch strip! Not a huge deal....lots of throw pillows! This is set up to be a BOM so maybe that is why the miscalculations.
For the most part, the pattern is fairly easy, no curves, just HST, squares, things like that. There is one step that requires Y seams to be done. I have never done them before and trying to follow their steps, I didn't get it figured out. However, someone on the board recently made mention of some youtube tuts about Y seams. The first two worked fine, then I wasn't getting it for some reason, but I did get it all worked out in the end.
Going through the corrections in another quilt on their website, I did find out that these two blocks have tips and corrections posted under the wrong quilt.
Another step that I had never done was the "Two Part Rectangle". You can paper piece it (I am not a paper piecer) or use their other instructions for piecing it. I tried both ways (several times), neither worked. I took the instructions and fabrics to a LQS and sewing group and noone figured it out.
Someone on the QB doing the same pattern had mentioned that there was a correction to block 7. I found it in the site and did not have to make the adjustments. I didn't see any more corrections for this quilt.
A few days ago I had to call the publisher because a block called for one fabric in the cutting directions, then the picture showed the same fabic. It has two mirror images to the block. One states to start out with fabric 2, so I made them this way. Then the mirror image said to start out with fabric 1. She said to go by the measurements. So I did, but the colors now do not go from light to dark.
Now, I am working on the very center of the quilt and find that when making that block, the cutting instructions and pictures call for one fabric and when you get further into expanding that block, it has another fabric. I thought that was odd, but followed the instructions. Now my center star is two colors and the bursts on the outsides of it are one of the same color and another color!
I think it will work out because it is in batik and I don't think they are big enough mistakes that will be that noticable (except to me), but it is just frustrating and I needed to vent.