Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 AM
cattailsquilts

The quilt in my avatar is one I made for my husband while we were dating. Ok, I started while we were dating. It didn't get finished until we were married, 2-1/2 years later...

It started out as a Block of the Month project, and I thought it would be fun to make each block in a scrappy theme, at half-size, and make twice as many blocks. Then I was going to make a center medallion & put all the mini blocks around it.

Well, after my math for reducing went wrong time after time, I gave up on that idea, re-selected jewel tone fabrics from my stash, and started over with the full-size blocks. In order to make it bigger, I used some of the 'screw-ups' because they were in the right colorways and weren't that bad, plus I added a center medallion that was the same size instead of oversized.

This was the first quilt I finished on my frame (he encouraged me to buy a used Pfaff GrandQuilter and New Joy frame to further my quilting abilities), and let me tell you, what a learning curve! Each block has a different astrological sign on it, and then I stippled the sashings & borders.

There are many things I would change about it if I were to re-do it now, but he loves it and that's what matters. :) (Another blog post I made about it is here: http://cattailsquilts.blogspot.com/2...ring-2009.html)