Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 AM
DogHouseMom

Raw bones are fantastic for cleaning dogs teeth. But why did you cut most of the meat off? That's the best part! YES you can feed your dog raw beef.

My butcher doesn't have raw beef bones often enough for my group so when he does have them, I stock up and keep them in the freezer. There is only one thing better than raw bones for cleaning teeth and that is FROZEN raw bones!!

And you CAN give raw chicken - bones and all - to dogs. I will add one caveat though. Chicken can be "dirty" and it's best to have a trustworthy source of raw chicken before you embark on a raw chicken diet. By trustworthy - I mean very clean, and very fresh. Your local grocery store is not the best option. The only people I know who currently feed a raw chicken diet are owners of large dogs with jaws more than capable to break all the bones and chew them. I'm not entirely sure about smaller dogs with raw chicken.

NO raw pork or pork bones for dogs.

Cooked bones ... ALL cooked bones are a no-no for dogs. The ones that don't splinter (round bones from the femur) have lost all their nutritional benefits so you might as well just give them to the dog raw. Pork and Chicken both have the tendency to splinter. I have no idea about any other meats (lamb, duck, venison, etc) so no comment on them.