Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The older theater is in a lovely little rural village south of us.

The way it is around here is that the new movie theaters are all located in newly developed retail areas (along with the big box chain stores). The older theaters are historic movie theaters in the (completely safe) downtown areas of the neighboring towns. These are villages with quaint, thriving Main streets with coffee shops, boutiques etc.

I think what troubles me most is that... well, we are fortunate to live in a "rich suburb" of Buffalo. And while I myself am not rich, a lot of DDs friends apparently do come from wealthy families. She has been lucky enough to be invited to lots of their homes, and those are really big, spacious ... well, they are mansions to me.

And I think they probably all do have money to burn. That said... how I wish that instead of spending the extra $6/ticket on themselves, we could turn it into an outing to the less expensive theater, and have the girls bring $6 worth of food for a local food pantry.

Its about... how do I teach her to be a good steward, and a caring Christian young woman that lives out the concept of loving her neighbor?

For instance... last year she wanted Uggs. Nothing else would do. So I took her shopping, and she bought her Uggs, with her own money. They were $140 / pair. J. C. Penney had Fuggs (fake Uggs) for $20 / pair that week. I asked DD right out if she knew exactly what she was doing, in purchasing the Uggs. I asked if she understood that she could get some very nice other-brand boots, and buy an equally nice pair for charity. Or buy the Penney boots, and six other kids could also have warm dry feet.

She still bought the Uggs.

And we'd recently come back from a week-long mission trip to Nicaragua, where $5 / day is considered a very good wage.

Honestly, I have been TRYING to teach her (and her brothers) to care about others.

Is it just her age, and the (lucky) town that we live in?

Or am I expecting too much wisdom from someone who is still quite young?