Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 AM
motomom

Originally Posted by Nita
Wow ... that was a very ambitious pattern for your first quilt. Great job! I'm sure your daughter will treasure it;Perfect choice for an aeronautical engineer. Did you do the hand quilting too? I'm blown away ...... You are a natural, girlfriend.
Thanks for the compliment.

I had a little freebie "How To Quilt" pamphlet to start with, with very sketchy instructions. It made it sound so easy, and I was naive enough to believe it to be so. At first I did not plan to have it set on point with sashing, but just plain blocks.

Then, as I was piecing the blocks, DD went and bought a KING SIZE bed. So I had to figure out some way to make it bigger. Hence the sashing and points. It is just barely big enough to cover the top of her bed, but by that time I couldn't get my hands on any more fabric quickly, and her birthday was fast approaching. I ended up backing with a plain back, originally I had intended to use the lightest rocket fabric as the backing.

Maybe lots of quilts have a story like this, I don't know if maybe I am the only one who suffers from such a lack of planning.