Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Because they weigh so much and have a horizontal bobbin case!!

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by QuilterGary
OK, I need to stay home. I bought two FW last week that I have not got home yet. I bought a Huskystar 219 with a nice Kuala cabinet. Then I bought this some one will ha e to tell what I have. It is a slant needle about the same size as 301 without but has horizontal bobbin. Nice little machine has a lever to lift the needle plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. Cannot find a serial number on it or a model number so what is it?
You have a winner! It is a Singer 404 - those were used in Home Ec classes. They are a wonderful machine. My GDs and Niece all have them. They are about the same weight and size as a 301. They take any of the slant feet that straight stitch. They are straight stitch only. They have a front loading drop in bobbin.

www.sewclassic.blog has info and she has bobbins and accessories. Nice cabinet! She also has a link to a free manual. serial number might be under the lip by the bobbin on the very end

I do not understand why they aren't right up there in value with the 301.
The 404s weigh the same as the 301 - they have the same slant-o-matic needle too. And yes! they do have a horizontal drop in easy to see if it's out of thread & easier to use bobbin!!! The 404 needle threads from the front. The 301 threads from one side or the other and if you forget you have instant bird's nests. I've had both around - I kept the 404 for the GD and GN and got rid of the 301.