Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by miriam
SOS... I'm trying to hook up the Singer 401G to treadle - the other day we just got the belt through, pulled on it and turned the wheel - basically we could see that it would do it. Now we've got a table top off an electric, a treadle base, a belt and the machine. The belt fits through just fine but seems to be too thick to go through the very top of the machine. DH insisted that we needed to pull the motor - too much friction. Well, it was not enough space or the belt too big around. Does anybody know anything about belt sizes? Are there smaller diameter belts and larger diameter belts? This belt goes in a very narrow spot. Right now it slips and slides until it comes to the staple then it hangs up - don't go through the top. In theory this should work. Any advice would be appreciated. DH says it has a 3/16 ths belt right now. Do they make a narrower belt?
Yeah, I think there are different size belts. Instead of staple, sew the belt together using dental floss. I like it much better than that dang staple that clangs when it hits the wheel. Again thank you Sharon, Purplefiend.

Why pull the motor? Doesn't it sit down out of the way like my Singer 328k does. For some reason, I get the impression your 401G is more like my Singer 328. From the photos that you posted earlier of all your machines, it looks like the 401G is just belt drive.