View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Grambi

Originally Posted by Pickles
I got a good suggestion put it all back into the contraners it was given in and run a ad in the papper to give it all away to a smoker that Quilts. I smoke and I know that if I should pass on that I would want my DH to make sure my Stash and Notions
will go to a Quilter that want mind the smell and just love my stash as much as I did and be greatful for getting it all. There is
still a bunch of smoking quilters out there that would love to own that poor womens stash, wish you luck with it :-D
Pickles, I honestly didn't mean to offend smokers! I smoked for 23 years, but quit 15 years ago yesterday. I really try not to be one of "those" ex-smokers. I am so grateful to have been given the fabric and feel that I was being trusted to put it to good use and to make sure that what I couldn't use would go for a good cause. I was very honored to be given such a gift!

Thanks everyone for some great tips. I am going to try some of the suggestions on the fabric while it is being stored. I also feel that it should be washed eventually and I did a test tonight on one piece that is perfect for backing a quilt I just finished. I washed it with a large load of cold water clothes and added a bunch of white vinegar to both the softener and the bleach holders. I have it hanging inside to dry because I don't want to pre-shrink it. The odor seems to have come out completely. I used liquid Tide and Clorox Color Booster and Stain Remover.

Thanks to all of you for some great ideas to try.