View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 AM
QuilterMomma

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by mms61371
I can't wait to try it! Your sitiching is gorgeous! Thanks
I have just started blanket stitching on my first 'raw edge and blanket stitch' applique. Lessons learned so far- #1 Do not use heavy duty heat and bond to do this! (Stitching through it involves using needle nosed pliers to get through it!) #2 There is a good reason to trim most of the center adhesive away before applying to the fashion fabric! (Good thing this is a wall hanging, way to stiff to be cuddly!) #3 If you do make these mistakes, use a thimble to defend your fingers!

*For the record, I will try this again, but do it right next time. I can be such a dufus!
There is also Heat n Bond Lite or Steam a Seam 2 Lite that works very well for a quality bond while stitching down. I have come to enjoy the Heat n Bond Lite and have been making lots of applique with them. Also, you are very correct that on your larger pieces, it is best to cut out the middle. When longarm quilting the non cut applique, it sure does a number on the thread and leaves larger holes when quilted. Softer as well when cut out. You must try it though and keep up the effort, you will grow to love the applique part of quilting like I have.