View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
BarbaraSue

Looking around in the attic where many boxes of whatnot are stored, I noticed two boxes marked "Sewing Stuff". I didn't recognize these boxes as mine. Hmmm. So, I brought them down and I was so happy I could cry! These sewing boxes came from my dGm on my dad's side who died in 1970. She only owned a treadle, and was still using it just before she died. Anyway, she was labeling things all over the house with little pieces of paper saying when she got it and from whom or who owned it first.
Well, the first box had a slender glass bottle with interesting things in it-- old tweezers, two crochet hooks , one so tiny it has a hood for it, and another short handled hook smaller yet with its own cap. The paper in this bottle had her mother's on it-- my great grandma.
Buttons from my Gd's WWI uniform, buttons from my great grandpa's police uniform, needle cases, pin cushions, and sewing notions. Purchased pins in paper wrappings with pins still in it, not rusted. the paper readable (300 pins was 29 cents!)
The second box had a metal thimble without a top on it and a cloth tied through it. On the cloth was my great great grandma's name. She was married in 1858! I didn't know these existed let alone that I had them in my possession.
Look around you just know what you'll find!