View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 PM
TeresaPendino

I will break things down for you so it won't seem so daunting. Therefore there will be several posts by me:
1. Materials Needed: Cutting board, Rotary Cutter, Needle threader (if you are blind as a bat like me :) ), Needle, Pins, Thread (I use Coats & Clark Dual Duty), Ruler (I use a 9.5 inch square & a smaller one), Seam Allowance Gauge (not required, but I have found it makes it much easier) Iron, Ironing board, Sewing Machine (not required), Solid Material, Print Material.

2. About Material: Traditionally Muslin was used for the solid (which is cheaper) but you can use cotton if you would like. In addition in a traditional CW quilt, the print fabric was from different scraps that were left over from other projects.
What I am using: Unbleached Muslin and one type of print.
With the muslin, you can hold it up to a window or light and it has a stained glass effect. It is really neat.

3. How Much Material?: This will depend on what you are wanting to make. Ex: just a block, pillow case, table runner, quilt. I will give you the approximate amount for quilt sizes.
Crib (45" X 60") 9 yards Solid Color
Twin (60" x 96") 19 yards Solid Color
Double (75" x 96") 22 yards Solid Color
Queen (80" x 100") 25 yards Solid Color
King (100" x 100") 30 yards Solid Color

4. Sizes to cut? Solid you will cut 9 1/2 inch squares
(you will need 4 to make one block unit)
Print: 2 1/2 inch squares. (you will need 4 to make one block unit)