View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 PM
TeresaPendino

Here is the link for the page I have started for this project. It has a list of those on this journey as well as tutorial links. More info will be added as we go.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=4669

There are several tutorials and different techniques to make this so I would read through them to see what you think. Personally some seem more difficult to me than others, but that is just me.

For this project, I will go through the method I have found the easiest to understand and accomplish but still trying to stay in the traditional technique.

Note for those who have never done a CW: there is no batting or backing needed. The concept is fold, press, & sew. You will end up with several layers of folds in your blocks which will make it heavier. This is a quilt as you go. We will work in 9" block sections for ease.

Decisions to make before hand:

1. What fabric do you want to use? Muslin, Cotton, etc. (solid) and your print. Do you want to only use one print or several? Are you wanting to create an effect? Holiday colors? Let the creativity flow!
I personally have chosen to use contrasting colors and using only one print. My fabric type is unbleached muslin for the solid and cotton for the print.

2. What size do you want your finished block? I'm going to be honest and say I'm still learning the figuring out the measurements for different size blocks.
For this project, we are going to end up with a 9" finished block. Then we will connect blocks together to the desired size you are wanting. Therefore, cut 4 (9.5 inch squares out of your solid) and 4 (2.5 inch squares out of your print)

3. Do you want the wrinkled vintage look when done? If so, do not prewash your solid. I recommend pre washing your print, though and ironing it before you cut your small squares. With that being said, if you are planning to use something other than white, cream, or muslin as your solid, I would highly recommend pre washing it as well. I would be afraid of color bleed. This is just my opinion.

4. Do you want your stitches to show on the back? I believe this will also aid in the wrinkled vintage effect once washed. i have not completed to be able to confirm or deny this.

5. Do you want your stitches to visually stand out on your windows? Or do you want them to blend with your background color?

Think about your answers to these questions and I will close for now. Let your creativity run wild! I look forward to hearing what you have decided!