View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Feathers

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
no pattern necessary

-cut a variety of fabrics into circles the size of your choice.
-cut the batting into circles that are 1/2" or 5/8" smaller in diameter than the fabric circles
-pin or baste the batting circles to the backs of half of your circles (the fabrics you want to form the frames of the "windows" on the top of the quilt).
-sew the other half of the circles to the fabric/batting sets. the righ-sides of both fabrics should be facing each other, batting on the outside.
-cut a slit near the edge of the fabs without batting attached. make it just big enough for you to be able to turn the circles right side out.
-quilt the circles in the manner of your choice, removing the pins/basting as you go.
-find the square in the center of your circles by folding the edges in to form an even frame all the way around. use the first one as a guide to the rest. (you could do the same with the paper you used as your pattern) mark the lines (on the fabs that will peek out from the windows) that form the squares using your preferred method.
-sew the circles together along the lines you marked, making sure the fabs without the slits are facing each other.
-when you're done sewing, fold the edges of the circles in to form the windows and secure the frams in the manner of your choice. you can fuse them, use a decorative hand or machine stitch all the way around, or just tack them down "here and there".
- when all that is done, your quilt is done. the slits will have been hidden when you folded the circles in to form the windows. that's why you need to make sure they're no bigger than necessary and are close to the edges.
Just found this thread...will have to try these instructions out. Looks like it might be a do-able ...I"ve tried Cathedral Window patterns a couple times in the past with no luck but I like the pattern so well I really want to make it work for me. Thank you...the quilt is gorgeous, NANABIRD.