Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM
MZStitch

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by MZStitch
I'm starting to quilt my latest quilt, my first batik. The salesperson at the sewing machine store told me I need "sharps" to quilt a batik. So I took my universal needle out, put my new "sharp" needle in and had to do numerous tear outs before finally getting rid of the sharp and putting a new universal needle back in. Argh, that was a waste of money. I'll have to look for metallic needles and give them a try!
that is odd...what thread where you using? and by batiks were they Joann/Hancocks or were they REAL batiks from Hoffman, Princess Mirah?..there is a difference...

I use Microtex on batiks they make a tinier hole in the fabric...I also use 50wt thread!
I am using a varigated Metler thread 50wt. My fabric is all real batiks, including Hoffman all bought at top price at a local quilt shop! I can't tell you what size the sharp needle was because I was so mad I threw the whole package away, lol. The saleslady had helped me pick my varigated thread though, so she knew I was using the needles to do my free mothion quilting so I assume it was the right size. Now that I switched back to a univeral needle my stitches are just fine!