View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
skippitydodahquilts

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Unless the rules are very different in your state, the seller is free to reject any offer she wants, especially given that it isn't full price. The repairs seem fairly minor, so the big question is what do the comps say it is worth? The asking price is only a starting point and may or may not reflect reality. Our seller refused to fix anything, but we felt that the house was still worth what we had offered and went ahead anyway.

Good luck - I hope things work out for you and you find your dream home :-)
The total market value (according to the county auditor's website) is $129,000. It's probably because it's an old home and it's location. I'm also concerned about the basement because it's an older home (1934). It didn't look wet, but they had everything on shelves and nothing of obvious value was directly on the floor. I'm not going to pay $136,000 because the auditors website reflects a different value, plus the comparable in the neighborhood have been selling in the $125,000 area. According to what I've heard about older homes, parts for repair (i.e. - the door) are a little difficult to find, so that's something else to consider.

I'm feeling better, and I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work out. My parent's have graciously offered to let us store everything in their pole barn and move in with them for as long as it takes. So, either way, at least we won't be homeless ;). Wouldn't that be a sight to see! A crazy lady with a sewing machine and her little white dog! LOL