Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
suzee

I am in a pickle and need some advice. First, let me admit that I am a perfectionist. A group of ladies from my church expressed the desire to make a quilt as a surprise gift for another lady in our church who is a missionary in Africa. Some of the ladies are experienced quilters, some are not. This is a project that has been batted around for two years and never got off the ground so I said if they really wanted to do it, I would organize the project. I worked with another quilter to choose the blocks and I supplied all the fabric. We are meeting for 2 1/2 hours twice a week so it is a big time commitment for me because I have to go to the church and get everything set up and ready before the other ladies arrive, then tear down and put everything away before I leave. I have asked an experienced quilter to work alongside each of the novices and I 'roam' lending help where needed. This morning, as I was gathering up the blocks that had been completed, I found that one block is especially wonky. The seams are closer to 3/8 than quarter inch in many places and in other places they are less than an eighth, the block was not pressed during construction, and overall, it is just really sloppy looking. We are using Rhonda's cut down method so there is really no reason for this block to be such an eyesore except that the person who made it was very secretive during it's construction. The quilt will require 40 blocks and, including the wonky block, we have 17 completed. Here's my dilemma; Should I ask this lady to do the block over? Should I un-sew it myself and try to salvage the fabric and restitch it? Should the block magically disappear? Should I just whip up a new block and replace it? None of the blocks has any identifying mark on it, the rest of the blocks are beautiful and line up perfectly. I realize that my perfectionism can be a real serious character flaw. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I'm not sure what is the right (gracious) thing to do here. What do you all think?