Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
My mom "moved on" two years ago, but she was my partner in crime. We hunted machines together, and had a fabulous time cleaning and working on them. I'm more into the mechanical side of things, but Mom loved the woodworking. I have cabinets that she refinished when she was nearly 90. She sold off most of her machines before she moved into senior housing, but she probably had 40 or so at that time.
She stayed about a year and a half in senior housing, absolutely hated it, and at the age of 90, bought a home clear out in the middle of nowhere. She always said she bought the garage, and a house came with it. (It WAS a nice garage!!) When she died, she still had a Red Eye, a VS II, a 101 and her favorite machine of all, a 15-91, in addition to her modern machines, which she didn't particularly like. I found good homes for her favorites with granddaughters and a DIL.

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Yep, a quilt is just a quilt until you think about all the people power that made the quilt! I often wonder what my mother would have thought if she could see me now! She died 4 years ago, 6 days after my dad died - it sent me into a tailspin that lasted a couple years. I didn't ride, didn't sew, did nothing. Then I decided I better do something with the horses and I started to sew again! I know my mom learned to sew using a treadle - but, she'd probably think I was crazy to see me now with 9 treadles in the house and a total of 33 or 34 sewing machines! I would have loved to be able to share this with her.

Nancy
Okay, Everyone has me crying now. I think I need a cup of tea.

I started a quilting journal this morning, not my usual blog posting. So, what did I write about- my vintage sewing machines. I want my kids to have the story correct about my vintage machines: how I found them, how much I paid for them, the condition of the machines when I picked them up, the age of the machines, what I named the machines, what I mainly used the machines for, and what I made with them.