Thread: Bad news for me
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
omak

Originally Posted by Shelley
Having been in this position 20 years ago when the computer industry consolidated and tightened up, I know what you're going through. A couple of pieces of unsolicited advice:

1) Start your job hunt now, not when your unemployment runs out. Your job right now is to 'find a job.' With the market like it is, it may take some time and you may find yourself headed in a new direction. You may not find anything making the money you make now. Chances are though, it will pay more than unemployment.

2) Don't get discouraged. These things take time. It's easier to do when you are not completely without income. You'll also interview better while you still have the unemployment safety net - it's an attitude thing.

Hang in there!
Exactly! And, I can tell by what you have said, GK, that you are in that mode ... looking for opportunities. My exact first thought was: Sometimes, we don't like a job, but we are committed to the friends we have made there. When it is time to move on, we hang on until the bitter end for "them" ... which is fine, but you are sounding as though it was sort of a mutual separation. Do what your hand finds to do, and you will find your place. I am sorry that the job ended in this way, but in five years, you are going to look back (I'm betting) and say the best thing that ever happened was my boss invited me to leave ...
This too is an opportunity .... the hardest thing I have ever had to teach the kids is: The only limit is your imagination ...