View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 AM
SparkMonkey

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I use the large, black binder clips when I sandwich. I use my craft table and have done up to king size quilts this way. I smooth out the backing (wrong side up) and clamp it to the table. Lay out the batting and smooth. Then clamp that into place using the same clamps as for the bottom. Then the top with the same process. I might get an occasional pucker but for the most part everything is smooth when I am done. Once I have the center portion of the quilt pinned I undo the clamps and move everything to the next section and repeat the process until complete. Can be a bit tedious on a king with the size of the table but it works in the small space I have.
I like the sound of this! I'm young yet and getting down on the floor doesn't bother me, but I have discovered that I have juuuust enough room to spread out a full-size quilt on the floor for pinning--and not an inch more. I'll be pinning a queen-size quilt in just a few days, and I was wondering if I'd have to rearrange the furniture to get it accomplished. My dining room table is about 5' square and glass-topped, so it'll work great. Thanks!

I will say, though, lately I've been eyeballing the drop from my loft-style craft room and wondering if I could rig up a hanger/stretcher of some sort and do my basting from a ladder. I really think it could work!