View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by CindyBee
I never cut my borders ahead of time. I wait until the top is pieced then square the top. I measure through the middle of the quilt lenghthwise and cut the lengthwise border. Do the same for crosswise. To splice the border for the necessary length is a personal preference. It's certainly easier to cut borders on the crossgrain and splice as needed. Sometimes I do that, but I REALLY love the look of an unspliced border. I just hate the hassle of cutting those perfect long lengths on the long grain. I've found that if I splice, where to place the splice really makes a difference. You don't want to place it near the edge of quilt. Sometimes that means wasting a lot of fabric, and I'm thinking I could have been better off yardage-wise cutting on the lengthwise grain.
I cut the lengthwise borders first - and I cut them LONGER than I think I'll need to, because who knows how I'll change the quilt as I go along. I can always make the border shorter, but I don't always like to piece to make it longer, even though I've often done it. I like the creative ways many of you have done this.