Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM
HanNatNana

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I started a quilting journal this morning, not my usual blog posting. So, what did I write about- my vintage sewing machines. I want my kids to have the story correct about my vintage machines: how I found them, how much I paid for them, the condition of the machines when I picked them up, the age of the machines, what I named the machines, what I mainly used the machines for, and what I made with them.
You know Monica, a journal is a great idea, but the guru's tell us to label our quilts with the important information too. Like the year you made it, who made the quilt, and yes it would be cool to put on the quilt all the vintage treadles, etc., that were used to make the quilt. Maybe, I will start doing that! Who knows, maybe 100 years from now some of our quilts will be used in a vintage collection display!

Nancy
What about making a quilt of the machines you own? The blocks could be embroidered or appliqued and have the machine name and other details underneath.

This is a quilt I made depicting Famous Sailing Ships, my 9yo DGD has it at the moment for 'show and tell' at school for their history studies. Since making this quilt I've bought fabric to make another one with First Fleet Ships but this is the style I was thinking about but featuring your machine collection.

You will notice in the first quilt photo it was tied, it was experimental and I didn't really like it then when I bought a HandiQuilter Frame it was one of the first projects....a bit backwards in that the binding and border quilting had already been done, but it worked OK.

The small table the Minerva Hand Crank sits one was this week's project and has now been restored, the little drawer has some old darning wool, hooks and eyes, crochet thread and a packet of needles as this was a table my MIL used as her sewing table and from memory she must have had a Singer 99 because I remember it was smaller than my mother's Singer.

Bronwyn ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)

Famous Sailing Ships (Tied)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219150[/ATTACH]

Famous Sailing Ships (Quilted)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219151[/ATTACH]

Minerva HandCrank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219152[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219144.jpe   attachment-219145.jpe   attachment-219146.jpe