Thread: migraine
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 08:49 PM
RugosaB

I'm going to share my 'migraine' story, though I know the thread is probably past, but if it helps one person, it's worth the typing:

As a kid, I had severe menstraul cramps, and pms. When I had my first son, looking back, I had a bit of postpartum depression, to the point oif actually seeing things a couple of times. I think I was so happy with the rest of my life, I just got beyond these times.
Then I had my daughter, who I breastfed also, and I had a slower reduction of the hormones because of it. 13 mos later I had my third son, and because of a pregnancy so soon (it was an oops) I didn't have that drop in hormones becuase of that either.
BUT
10 days after Ben was born, I experienced this pounding on the right side of my head and my blood pressure went sky high. I had never experienced a migraine before. I was hospitalized and had an ACTH treatment. The way I understand it, some gland, I think the adrenal but I'm not sure, but it's the one that helps you deal with stress, shuts down after giving birth, Fine time for that to happen! So the ACTH was to shock it into working

I had more mild migraines for a few months after, until the dr gave me a prescription for Amytriptylene, an old antideppressant. The way I understand it, I had enough serotonin, it just wasn't accessible for use. I haven't had a migraine since, this was 23 years ago, and I take the drug before bedtime each night. Except, I did get a pound, just one, like someone was in my head with a hammer, every month, and it let me know my period would start in 24 hours.

My migraines were hormonally based, and we call my pill, the happy mommy pill. It only costs $5 a month. It as some side effects that for me are a plus. I can't sleep at night without taking it, and it's antihistamine effect is helpful in several ways