View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Ps 150

I've been sewing for my girls for about 5 years now, since my oldest was really old enough to show that her skinny minnie size wasn't changing and there really wasn't anything to fit her body type in the stores besides turtlenecks and t-shirts--and sometimes those are still too short.

Most of my patterns I've liked, I've bought larger sizes for as well, so that when my girls are older I'll have larger sizes but there are still sometimes when a new pattern catches them in the stores and they like it.

That happened last month when we were going through Joann's. My youngest DD, age 6, saw a McCall's pattern she loved. Now, since my girls are so tall, I normally have to lengthen dresses so I looked for the measurements on the back of the finished garment but it stated that it was printed on tissue. I was a bit discouraged but bought extra fabric. She became ill a few days later so I set the pattern aside. Yesterday, I went to start putting the dress together but there were no measurements on the tissue.

I called McCall's customer service and they stated that they no longer pring finished garment measurements on patterns for children. I'm not sure why, but this is there current practice. I do not know if this is the practice for other companies but it is for McCall's. So, if you need to make alterations to a pattern that require extra fabric, be sure to buy a bit extra on top of what you normally would add because you won't know until the dress is made if you have enough. Thankfully, I bought extra of her fabric because she wanted a matching hat and bag for it so I have plenty.