Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Tussymussy

On my list is a visit to Holland to see where my ancestor came from. He sailed on the Mayflower from Holland and jumped off when it reached Plymouth, England. He travelled northto South Somerset where he became a yeoman farmer.

The family were quite well off and stayed in farming until the beginning of the WW 1 when my grandparents moved to Bristol and opened a greengrocers. My father would dig potatoes from the family farm to sell in the shop.

My father also served as a Warrent Officer in the Indian Army. He completed his service, returned to UK, found a job and joined the Territorial Army (a kind of part time army). He was in it 6 weeks when he was forced to resign as he was one of the very first callups for the British Army at the start of WW 2.

I would love to visit the states as my ancester was on his way to the New Colony and I would have had a different heritage and would now be an American!

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
On my bucket list is to visit England where my ancestors lived. My geneology has been traced back to the 1500's to Upwey, England (south coastal area, I think, but I am geographically challenged so not sure). I even know what ship my 13 GGF took to Massachusettes. And I share a 7th GGF with Lucille Ball, and John Wayne is in my lineage somewhere, too. Fascinating. Here's a photo of the sheep farm. I have access to the inventory of this place in the 1500's, as well as a copy of his will. Anyone else out there interested in geneology?