View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Grambi

Originally Posted by ptquilts
one of my first topics on the QB was about my search for a good tea bag, having tried the big 4. Someone suggested Luzianne, so when I was down south last winter I got a box. They are OK but I am still looking for tea the way I remember it. Maybe my taste buds are shot.
I have had the same problem. I generally enjoy the iced tea that I get in restraunts but couldn't find any that tasted good brewed at home. I have recently discovered Blue Diamond tea bags and they are just the ticket for me. Of course everyone's taste buds are different.

I have also changed the way that I "brew" my tea for iced tea after listening to an interview with a tea expert on NPR.
His recommendation was to put regular (not "cold brew" style) tea bags into a pitcher of cold water and then placing that in the fridge to brew slowly (overnight or at least 8 hours). Because it is cold brewed you don't end up with any bitterness. It last a long time in the fridge after making it and it never seems to get too strong, even if I forget to take the tea bag out for a couple of days. Sun tea is supposed to be a big no-no because the temp is perfect for the growth of bacteria.