View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
ssnare

Thank you. Everyone has said rag quilt or purse, but I did not know how to do this. Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate this.

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Originally Posted by ssnare
I received some blocks that are flannel, 6" squares. They have a 4" square sandwiched between them and are stitched with an X across them. So, I am sure that they are considered "stitch as you go". I have never done this before. I do not know how to join them. If I just make a seam, it will show on the back. Can anyone explain to me how you do this? Below is a picture. They have the same pattern on the backs.

I would appreciate any help or comments. Thank you.
seam them together just outside the inner 4" square so that you've got a 1" seam allowance on the blocks. Keep all the seam to one side (front side). When done, clip the seams to within 1/4" of the seam line about 1/4" to 1/2" apart. Go to a laundry mat and run it through a wash & dry cycle. You may have to repeat for best fluffing. I always recommend the laundry mat b/c the initial fluffing of a rag quilt results in a lot of lint and can be hard on most residential washers/dryers. You'll need to check the lint trap often (I paid 1 quarter at a time, check the lint trap, then another quarter and so on). I'm including a pick of the rag quilt I made. It's a denim/flannel combo, so I don't have the inner smaller square.