View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Patti Mahoney

My granma taught me how to make dumplings. The first time I ever tried to make them my ex was in the Air Force and I called Granny to ask her how to make them. Well, Granny was from the old school of cooking. He recipe....a few handfuls of flour, a pinch of salt, a thumb of baking soda, etc. Of course, that didn't do my any good so I ask her to try to give me measurements. She said the next time she made dumplings she would put each of the ingredents on a piece of waxed paper and then measure them out and send me the measurements. Well, I had to have dumplings that day. She estimated how much of this and how much of that. What did I end up with? One big pot of goo. LOL I called granny with tears in my eyes asking what I did wrong. Over the years I've tried to teach my nieces and great nieces how to make dumplings. It's just one of those God given talents that it takes lots of practice in order to get it right. It didn't take me long but once you 'got it'........you 'got it'. Good luck to any dumpling making' people out there. Keep practicing.....adventually you'll get it right. The dough has to be just a little bit gooey but not stiff, that's the best way I can describe it. Happy Cookin'. OH! And you have to have a rolling pot of boiling stock before you drop your dumpings. They will sink to the bottom and them float to the top when they are done. Done over crowd your dumplings either. They should have room to roll around in the pot. Once you are finished dropping them, turn the flame down on your stove to a simmer and the flour from the dumplings will thicken broth. Good Luck!