Thread: Triangles
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM
june6995

HALF SQUARE TRIANGLES....
this is an easier way. I am searching for a pattern on line that will give you the instructions. Writing it out is complicated. I will try.

AS an example....Eleanor Burns (in some of books) has suggested this:

Cut 2 squares 3 1/2" (best cut from 2 strips laid face to face and cut 3 1/2" wide.)

Using a pen and ruler, MARK lines which will be used as cutting lines. MARK this way. draw a + that will divide the block into 4 smaller squares.

Draw lines from the top of the + to the side, to the bottom and up to the top again. Be certain to measure the exact center of the top, bottom and sides for accuracy. This is NOT an X. You will have a square set on point, within the block. This will create a triangle in each of the squares you have marked earlier.

Sew 1/4" on either side of these last lines. Check so you can see that you are sewing a diagonal seam through each of the squares of that 4 (square) block. SEW ON BOTH SIDES OF THE DRAWN LINES. That will be 8 short seams.

NOW. get your rotary cutter and cut on the lines DRAWN WITH THE PEN. You should have 8 pieces when cut. Each one will be pressed E Burns always squared her blocks. Results: 8 triangle blocks that are 2 colors.

I like to make one light and one dark. You can use any combination you choose.

For a Pinwheel quilt I make these blocks starting with an 8" square.

Make one sample block and I think you will get the hang of it and be able to figure out your pattern and incorporate this idea.

I am sorry I could not find an example on line. If and when I do I will be sure to send it. I hope this helps. Please contact me for more help. I have made 3 of these quilts.

Will you share what pattern you are using? June