View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 AM
nyelphaba

I cannot tell you what machine to buy, but I suggest thinking about what features you want/need. I can tell about my sewing machine journey. The first SM I got was a Singer 401 which my husband bought for me from a co-worker. It was 35 years old when I got it. Wonderful machine, I love it-a workhorse. It is in a cabinet, heavy, not very mobil. Years later, when we bought a house, a flyer came in the mail about new machines being sold at a hotel near us- advertised as a school home-ec overstock sale. The brand is Taylor. We went, looked, loved and bought. My machine repair man said the Taylor is a Singer produced in Poland. Terrific machine and I would not have gotten another except I stared quilting and learned about "dropping your feed dogs". So about 10 years later for my 50th birthday my husband bought me the machine of my choice. This turned out to be the Viking Quilt Designer- love this machine. It does everything I need and more. My last purchase was a Singer Featherweight
because I wanted something small and lightweight to take back and forth to classes and guild workshops. So there you have my journey. Again, think about your needs, what the machine can do for you. Ten years from now you my need/want another.