Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Jates

I've done fusible applique with the Sue Nichols technique on wall hangings with no problem. Since it is a wall hanging and probably won't be laundered like a bed quilt would be, you shouldn't have any problems at all. I like the way the blanket stitch looks. However...on a bed quilt I have found that the blanket stitch is not enough. I made my 6 yr old son a quilt with fusible star applique...I was doing a satin stitch around the stars, but on my old machine I didn't like doing it (and probably got lazy and in a hurry) so foolishly I quit doing the satin stitch and I think I did a looser zig zag- my old machine didn't have the button hole stitch....anyway a few years later some of the applique is becoming frayed. Of course this could have been somewhat brought on by the fact that my husband put the quilt in the dryer!! uuugh.. but I'm sure more my fault and shoddy construction...now I need to figure out how to fix the frayed edges on my son's quilt. Sorry this reply is probably muuuuch longer than you ever wanted! But hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes....I have.
And, want to say that that will be a BEAUTIFUL wall haning! I LOVE that! Good luck!

Frayed edges with fusible applique and small zig zag stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]220196[/ATTACH]

Satin stitched fusible applque...still holding strong (sorry it's blurry)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]220200[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-220190.jpe   attachment-220194.jpe