Old 07-03-2011, 12:13 PM
mermaid

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I always cut out the stem down the middle (sometimes they get so big and are tough, but the little veins in the leaves are fine) and cut or tear the leaves into smaller pieces. Rinse the leaves in a colandar in the sink several times. They cook down a LOT, so you probably want to make more than you think you should. I saute a little finely minced garlic in oil in the bottom of a dutch oven or other large cooking pot. If you don't like garlic, cook bacon as someone else mentioned. Or do both! LOL. Add the greens and cover with water. Add a little salt (to taste - you can always check and add more toward the end of cooking time). Bring to a boil and then cut the heat back and let them cook on medium until done. Doneness would be to your liking, but I cook them for at least an hour. Warning: they don't smell so good while they are cooking, but are oh so good when they are done! I apologize if this is in any way vague, but I don't really have a recipe... I just wing it! LOL.
Now, I LOVE the smell of turnip greens cooking!! Makes me get the 'hungries' and a fork to dip and sample. Was just going to wing it --thanks for assuring they're all cooked pretty much the same way.