View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
quiltswithdogs

I've been posting on the Chit-chat section about the awful fires in Santa Barbara, CA and my daughter's home and business being in danger. Now, I'm putting it here because it hit me that this situation actually is related to quilting.

She is in Chicago at a conference. Her landlord called to say the house may indeed catch fire, that if he can get to it, he will save one possession each for her and her housemate, a woman who is also in another state right now. So, if possible, he will save the housemate's cat and my Vanessa's violin. I told her I'm still alive, I can make more quilts. Her little dog is being cared for by a friend who loves him and babysits him frequently and this friend had asked to borrow her car, so that is saved too. So, if the worst happens, all she will have is her dog, her car, and whatever is in her suitcase for her business conference. She will lose all her photos, souvenirs, gifts of childhood-college friends and travels (we can duplicate family photos but not those) and her collection of musical instruments and music. She's been composing on the piano which is from my husband's childhood(sentimental), the folk harp handmade by a dear musical friend who died of cancer(sentimental), her sister's flute, and others that she also plays and enjoys. I sure hope the landlord can save her violin that is hugely sentimental and needed for her parttime job in the Santa Barbara Orchestra. She's also heartsick at the prospect of losing the quilt projects I've made for her over the years... I am too. But, she enjoyed them a lot when she had them and I can make her more.

Her business partner, also in his twenties, may be losing him home right now too. He lives with his wealthy grandpa so won't need to worry about where to live -ever. But still, he must also have special possessions. Hopefully, both their houses are spared. Vanessa has asthma so will need to have meds and inhaler handy when she steps off the plane tomorrow. She was advised to stay away for her health, but she's worried about her dog, her things, her business offices full of files and equipment (at risk, but not in imminent danger). She said for us to not come because there is no place for us... she will be staying in a tiny back room at her friend's yet that house is at the edge of mandatory evacuation and all motels are booked with the area's residents. There is a tent shelter place set up somewhere, but not for family visiting.

So, I am here now, telling you about this potential tragedy we are fearing, to ask you to pray that the fire doesn't reach her house or somehow magically skips over it.

Also, I strongly advise you all to do what I always do... take a photo of every quilt project you give away! If my daughter does lose everything, I will be able to print & frame a photo of her 2 bed quilts, special pillows, quillow, framed landscape, I'm not sure what else, I've made for her since I learned to quilt about 8years ago. It will make an artsy collection for the wall in her next home. I have already begun the Pioneeer '09 BOM so if she does lose her quilts, I will be making a sampler quilt of those blocks for her for Christmas.

I'll update you tomorrow.
Cathy

my older daughter, Vanessa
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33690[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-33690.jpe