View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:06 AM
RkayD

I LOVE gathering up old quilts. Its always the first thing I look for in thrift & antique stores. I've gotten a few lucky finds. I love the stories of how I found them almost as much as the quilts themselves. =)

This Purple & Orange I bought at a flea market for $10. It is all hand sewn and when I first walked by it I almost kept on going. I got all the way to fence as we were leaving and turned around and ran back. I only had $10 in my pocket...It hadn't been washed yet and when I washed it it almost fell apart but it has that quilty OLD look now.

The second one I bought at a thrift store for $1.50. Its so old I am afraid to wash it. I can't identify the batting...other than to know its OLD stuff. All hand pieced...LOVE it! But am scared of it too....is that weird?

The third one was given to me in a box of stuff when my friends grandma passed away. Its machine pieced but old fabrics and is safety pinned to a polyester backing...that I will get rid of. You can just see a peek of it up in the left corner. I think I'll use an old sheet. I might keep the batting...not sure. I am almost afraid to wash this one too.. I know its going to have rust spots from the safety pins...any hints on that?

The forth one is one of my prized quilts. It was hand pieced and quilted by my great grandmother on my daddy's side. I used it a bit when my kids were young...BEFORE I understood about old fabrics and such. It is in need of some serious repair. Makes me sad..but I love it so.

I have many more quilt tops that my grandma made. I am going to be quilting those for her...she passed away in Feb but made each of her kids a top. I will post some of those if anyone is interested...I just didn't want to take up all the space. =)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-220796.jpe   attachment-220797.jpe   attachment-220799.jpe   attachment-220801.jpe