Thread: Retail quilts
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 04:39 AM
ruthrec

Originally Posted by cminor
I have noticed more and more pretty good looking quilts at places like Kohls and Walmart. Today I saw a double wedding ring king sized quilt at Walmart for . . .$16.00!

We went to my husbands uncles house last year and that was the first time I saw one of these. I "thought" I could tell the difference between the hand made vs. store bought. I guess not. Since then every time I walk by one I kind of glare at it - like it knocked over my ice cream cone.

So my question is - how do you feel about mass made quilts passing as hand made? Knowing most people that don't quilt could never tell the difference.
My kids and grandchildren want a quilt made with my own two hands...something made with love, blood (most have at least one drop of my blood from a pricked finger hidden somewhere in the quilt), and my time. It may not be as pretty, or quite as perfect in construction, but it's made by me and won't fall apart any time soon! I use the best fabric and threads I can possibly afford. One of my daughters said it's the "glitches" that give the quilts character. She loves the ones I've made so far. They all do. And the glitches are noticeable only by me.