View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 AM
willferg

I had shingles 10 years ago in my right eye and up through the hairline. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the nerves were damaged and I don't feel it in my eye, but I do recall in the beginning how my face and hair hurt.

Being put on anti-viral medication helped tremendously. The rest took time. Ten years later, I still put in an eye drop every day to keep things calm in my eye. The virus is gone, but the cornea is damaged, and I'm not a candidate for a replacement. I am on very friendly terms with my opthalmologist ( I know that's not spelled right, but that word is just too hard to spell, lol).

I've always been afraid to get the vaccine in case it triggers another case, and I haven't heard it would help since I've had both CP and shingles.

On a separate note, my kids had the chicken pox vaccine, had a mild breakthrough case, and then had a full-blown case. Makes me sort of frustrated with the vaccines and I wonder what that will mean for them in regards to shingles down the road...