View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
KLO

An accomplished quilter that I met a number of years ago gave me this advise. First, find a shop(s) near enough to you that you can get help and servicing easily. Then try a few different machines out (at different shops if need be) to see what feels good to you. You may only have one shop close enough to you to do this but if you have a problem with your "new" machine and have to travel hours to take it in for servicing, you will curse the day you bought it. I have a second hand Bernina 153QE which I bought at my local shop because that's what they sold. I was using a 1970's Singer. I could not believe what this new-to-me Bernina could do and how well it sewed. I don't need too many bells and whistles so this one had enough to make me happy. Best advice .... figure out how and what you want to use a machine for and then try to buy locally. And as others mentioned, read reviews before buying. Good luck and hope you find your next "best friend"! PS: I do have a non-computerized machine also for back up in case my Bernina goes belly up. At least I can then still sew until I can get the Bernina serviced. So, keep your older machine even if you buy a new one .... just in case.