View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 PM
latebloomerar

The way I see it is this. You can probably find the attachments for your old machine with the help of this board, but if your yearning is for a new machine, look for features.

For quilting
- the ability to drop feed dogs is a must for free motion quilting
- can the needle up / down position be set
- an on / off switch to either use the pedal or not
- can you find a walking foot for it
- are you wanting a bigger harp

Once you have all that figured out then find out what brands the dealers in your area have. Because you will be restricted to the brands they sell if you want their help and the services they supply.

I bought a cheapie Janome 8050 from Hancocks but I know not to expect any help from them if there is a problem with the machine. Luckily there has not been a problem and it is so much nicer than my old Singer decorative touch machine that it is like night and day. I intend to keep this machine and take it to guild, after I buy my dream machine which is a 6600p.

Beware, prices vary radically. My local dealer has the machine for 1699.00 but I called a dealer in Memphis that said that they would sell it for 1399.00 regular price so I have the big decision of do I drive the 80 miles to Memphis or buy locally. Lots of decisions.....