Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
judi_lynne

Originally Posted by purplecrna
Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
I don't have a long arm and have found this very useful especially when doing a large quilt like a queen or king or doing quick charity quilts. I have adapted my own techniques and have done my free motion quilting on each section as I go. I place the top of the each section right sides together and on the bottom of each section right sides together with the batting under that. Then I stitch all 5 layers together using a little more than a 1/4 inch. Flip the top, bottom and batting open and smooth, free motion (if desired), add the next section, etc. I also add the borders the same way and then bind.
I don't like having to add that extra strip of fabric and hand sewing it to the back. My method avoids this and there are no raw edges. I have used this method using my serger for some of my charity quilts. The important thing is to smooth all the layers before meandering (free motion quilting) or adding the next section.
Just my technique and thoughts.
This is the way I would prefer to do it...however, I have to see the process. Any chance of a tutorial? I made one QAYG and am working on a second. Would LOVE to not have to sew the hand sewing on the back. Otherwise, I like the QAYG method. :thumbup: