View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM
1screech

I hope this is allowed. We visit Franklin, NC frequently. My husband says I only wanted to buy property in Franklin because of the quilt shops. He is wrong (sorta); it is a beautiful close to nature area that is laid back with a small town atmosphere with wonderfully nice people...and yes, there are two fabulous quilt shops that certainly are icing on the cake.

"A Stitch in Time" has most recently expanded. This is the second time the shop has expanded since I have been coming here (about 3 years). The shop is absolutely beautifully displayed with sewn samples of quilts, purses, aprons and table runners. They have lots of choices in lines of fabrics which are constantly changing and updating. Maxine, the owner, is not only a jewel, but certainly a diamond. She is so sweet, giving and helpful and so are all the ladies who work with Maxine. She and her staff do a "free" demo of something just about every Tuesday at lunch time. It is usually a new technique, small easy to make item (that could be used as a gift), or a quilt or table runner pattern. She carries a large variety of vintage reproduction, Moda, K.Facet, batiks, vinyl fabrics and a nice assortment of embroidery and quilting threads, buttons, books, patterns and notions. She also has a wonderfully well lit, roomy classroom. She is a Viking sewing machine and long arm dealer. I only know her through the shop, but I do know she is kind and giving and always happy you are visiting her shop.

The other newly expanded quilt shop is Deb's Cats and Quilts. Deb and her staff are also more than willing to help you match fabrics or find items you might need. She also has a brand new well lit roomy classroom and has expanded her selection of fabrics. She carries a huge selection of civil war type fabrics, moda, vintage reproductions, batiks, backings and shirting fabrics. She seems to have added more brighter fabrics and civil war selections since the expansion. She carries several brands of embroidery designs and a full selection of notions, patterns, books and embroidery supplies. She designs mini paper pieced quilt patterns that she offers for sale in her store. She is a Janome dealer and schedules many classes in Embroidery and quilting.

Both of these ladies have shown how to build a business with a great staff and always the best customer service from the staff. If any of you come within 50-75miles of Franklin, NC, I don't think you would be disappointed in the two quilt shops.

I don't believe Franklin is a large enough town to support these beautiful shops by local people. I think both Quilt shops have an out of town following. Both quilt shops have grown from much smaller shops to quilt shops that you would go out of your way to visit. I think that these fine quilt shops are going to put Franklin on the map as a great place for quilters to shop.

I don't work for either shop nor do I live here full time, but after seeing the newest expansion of A Stitch in Time today, just felt like all you other quilters surely need to know of these shops.